Mic Fiend: Alicia Keys “Cosmopolitan Woman”
On Wednesday, we like to focus on poetry to get us through the day. As we grow, we hope our readers will be comfortable enough to send us their work so we can post it! At connectingthadotz we want to build a community of readers and writers.
Alicia Keys became very popular from the gate for her strong musicianship and her bluesy vocal crooning. She also can bring the heat with a pad and pen. In keeping the tradition of our “Wordplay Wednesdays” we want to highlight Ms. Keys as a poet as well.
In 2004, Alicia published her book of poetry entitled, Tears for Water: Songbook of Poems and Lyrics. The poetry was said to provide an intimate look into the artist’s story and received critical acclaim. The poem that we have lifted from her novel today is called, “Cosmopolitan Woman.” In this poem Alicia denounces certain conventional expectations as a woman and embraces her personal view. She is unapologetic, basically asking you to accept her as she is.
In an industry so focused on image she spreads her non-conformist wings and flies to her reality. We appreciate her for the bravery she displays here and wanted to bring it to the forefront.
I don’t want to be
No cosmopolitan woman
With big ol’ city sophistication
And a facade of perfection
Every page of the story
Filled with predictability
Of a lost soul
A hole in your heart
Only filled up temporarily
And 101 ways to find Mr. Right By sex and superficiality
Cause we’ve all lost sight
No I don’t want to be
A cosmopolitan woman
I just wanna be myself I may not be perfect
But I am brave
May have pimples on my skin
But my glow is from within
I damn sho ain’t cosmopolitan
And you won’t find me on the cover
Pages of a magazine rip and tear
With time the people are forgotten
Stories are outdated
But you’ll never fi nd a hole in my soul
And my story keeps growing
And only gets better I have real skin that’s tough like leather
I’m a go-getter
And I’m gonna win
Who gives a shit about cosmopolitan
Even only in my beginning stages
I’m more than just a silent woman
Frozen on white pages
Sick of these cages
But I am a lion
In my differences
I am defiant
And that is more beautiful
Than any photo shoot
Than any cover story
Fixed with Photoshop
It’s gotta stop
This image of beauty Is all wrong
But it’s been going on too long to realize
The prize is down inside the deepest region
Of your available soul
Behold Read the story
And let it be told
Even in my beginning stages
I am more than just a silent woman
Frozen on white pages
Related Posts via Categories
- Mic Fiend: “Mantra for a Free State Of Mind (RISE)” by Galaxy
- Mic Fiend: Gil Scott Heron- ‘I Think I’ll Call It Morning’
- New Muzik: King- ‘In The Meantime’
- New Muzik: India Arie- ‘Cocoa Butter’
- S.W.V(Sisters With Voices) to film reality TV series
- Beyonce reveals baby bump in HBO special
- Jazmine Sullivan has them stuttering after dropping some pounds!
- Mic Fiend: Sonia Sanchez honors Nina Simone
- Mic Fiend: Ursula Rucker: “Return to Innocence Lost”
- Mic Fiend: Mia X “Hoodlum Poetry”
- Woman rapes 2 year old son with sex toy
- New Video: Alicia Keys f/ Maxwell “Fire We Make”
- Woman drowns son for having a small penis
- Alicia Keys, “Literally, I was running from pimps and prostitutes…..
- Man almost dies from performing oral sex on wife!
- Alicia Keys the Global Creative Director for Blackberry?
- New Muzik: Alicia Keys “Brand New Me Part II”
- Woman attempts to buy iPads from Walmart with Food Stamp Card
- Alicia Keys sales are not on fire!
- Alicia goes talks about Girl on Fire in the studio!